The 2018 Iowa DEC Conference will be held Monday, April 9, 2018 at Prairie Meadows!
Registration is open! Register here on the Blank Children's Hospital website.
Please contact Prairie Meadows if you will need hotel accommodations. Attendees will make and pay for their own reservations. Prairie Meadows Hotel (800-325-9015) or www.prairiemeadows.com The booking code for our group is 040818DEC. You can either reserve your room online or call in to (515) 957-3000 to make a reservation. The reservations cutoff is Thursday, March 8th and the rate for a standard room is $109 plus state and local occupancy tax.
Presenter handouts will not be available at the conference. Please print the handouts you would like to have with you and bring them to the conference. Handouts will be posted here when made available by the presenters.
2018 Drug Endangered Children (DEC) Conference Agenda
7:45-8:15am Registration and Breakfast
8:15-8:30am Opening Remarks
8:30-10:00am A Collaborative Approach to Child Sex Trafficking Prosecution- AUSA Amy Jennings; AUSA Virginia Bruner; Christina Busse, Victim Specialist
10:15-11:45am Marijuana, Health, and Children- Kevin A. Sabet, Ph.D., Former White House Advisor
11:45am-1:00pm Lunch (Provided)
1:00-2:30pm Breakout Session (select one)
A. Marijuana: What Parents and Youth Should Know, and the Link Between Opiates and Marijuana- Kevin A. Sabet, Ph.D.
B. Opioid Use in Central Iowa- Haley Pederson; Emma Klein
C. Emotional Connection and Regulation with Traumatized Children- Warren H. Phillips, Ph.D., Licensed Psychologist
D. Child Abuse Investigations Involving Drugs and Criminal Charges- Scott W. Nicholson, Assistant Jasper County Attorney; Andi Borsch, Child Protection Worker
2:45-4:15pm No Shock Recommended- Victoria Allendorf, Executive Director I Hate Heroin; Officer Al Fear
4:15-4:30pm Evaluations and Closing
- Iowa Board of Nursing Provider #31, UnityPoint Health - Des Moines awards 4.75 contact hours for full attendance
- Approved for 6.5 CEUs by Iowa Board of Certification: Alcohol and Drug Specific OR Special Populations
- Approved for 6 Continuing Legal Education (CLE) hours.
- Approved for 6 hours of in-service training for foster parents.
- This program meets the requirements for approval of CEU credits by the Iowa Board of Social Work Examiners, the Iowa Board of Behavioral Science Examiners, and the Iowa Board of Psychology Examiners.